Protein Bars and Protein Shakes
Protein is a complex, large molecule that plays many important roles in the body. It is required for the structure, function, and regulation of the body's tissue and organs. These are made up of amino acids that join together to form long chains.
Functions of protein in the body are:
- Growth and Maintenance of body.
- Biochemical reactions.
- It acts as a messenger.
- It provides structure to the body.
- It maintains a proper pH level.
- It maintains fluid balance.
- It boosts immune health.
- It transports and stores nutrients.
So, nowadays you can consume proteins as snacks like protein bars and protein shakes for additional value. These are a convenient source of nutrition. People enjoy them as they are an easy way to add protein to your daily diet.
Protein bars are made from dates, dried fruits, nuts, seeds, and whole grains like oats. The protein bars on average contain 5-10 grams of fat, 25-35 grams of carbs, and 10-20 grams of proteins. But many protein bars contain huge quantities of sugar and unhealthy sweeteners like high fructose corn syrups that can increase your risk of fatty liver, obesity, and diabetes. Protein source also varies. Some of the protein bars contain plant-based protein like soy, pea, and brown rice. Others may contain egg whites or nuts as the protein source.
Here are some benefits of protein bars.
- These are simple and nutritious snacks and they also come in a variety of flavors.
- It helps in weight loss, due to the filling effects of protein which decreases your appetite.
- It helps in muscle gain.
- It helps in weight gain as it contains a high-calorie value.
These are the convenient way to add more protein to your diet. It also contains other micronutrients like calcium, vitamin B, potassium, and iron.
Protein shakes are mainly used by athletes and people working out at gyms for gaining muscle mass. They are a good source of protein and helps in bodybuilding. In protein shakes various protein sources are used as milk, whey, casein, egg, soy, and rice. It is the best and most convenient way to add protein to your diet. Protein powder is mixed with water or milk.
Some example of protein shakes is:
- SlimFast Advanced Energy meal replacement shakes
- MET-Rx RTD 51.
- OWYN Vegan protein shake.
- Labrada Lean Body shake.
Protein shakes help in muscle gain, weight loss, lean muscle gain, and prevent muscle loss.