What Is Zone Diet? All The Details You Should Know
The Zone diet mainly aims to reduce inflammation and stimulate healthy insulin levels in the body. People following this diet consume healthful fats and antioxidants. It helps in balancing protein and carbohydrate intake. It recommends low-calorie intake.
Zone diet was developed by Dr. Barry Sears, who says that the diet aims to prevent “diet-controlled inflammation”. Inflammation has a major role in many diseases and conditions, which can either be a gastrointestinal or digestive system issue or type II diabetes.
There are some basic rules of the Zone diet:
· You should eat a meal or snack within one hour of waking up.
· You should consume meals or snacks starting with low-fat protein, followed by foods having healthy carbs and fats.
· You should eat small and frequent meals during the day.
· You should consume an adequate amount of omega-3 and polyphenols, as they are rich in anti-inflammatory properties.
· You should consume at least six to eight glasses of water per day.
There should balance between carbohydrate, protein, and fat intake.
People should avoid foods containing starch and choose foods having a low glycaemic index as these foods take time to digest and cause fewer sugar spikes after eating. You should eat the following food items.
· Fruits and berries
· Vegetables like spinach, asparagus, mushrooms.
· olive oils
· Low-fat dairy
Follow the Zone diet and balance between carbohydrates and proteins. It helps to reduce inflammation in the body.