Meet Geeta J: A 52-Year-Old Lingerie Model Who Is Breaking All Stereotypes
We are always told to follow our dreams but then if we, Women follow them our society has some problems with it. According to them, a women’s dream shouldn’t be more important than her family. The dreams of women should be respectful which society appreciates and at the end, our life and our dreams never become our own, it is influenced by people. But why women should agree to this? Why should we quit our dreams just because society doesn’t want to accept them regardless of what we want?
- Geeta J, a 52-year-old model hailing from Mumbai is breaking all stereotypes of our typical Indian Society and the Modelling Industry. It isn’t a secret anymore that modeling industry ageism still exists, and beauty is judged based on our appearance. Women face it everywhere. However, Geeta J took it to a whole new level when she smashed all beauty standards.
- Geeta J is a former teacher who had a dream when she was a teenager to become a model. She was told you look good, your hairs have luscious locks, you should do a shampoo advertisement. She told that while people appreciated her and told her to go ahead, at last, they would also say that “Girls who belong to good families don’t belong to this profession” and then She gave up on her dreams.
- Geeta graduated, got a job, and got married and that’s how she gave up on her dream. She wanted to be known by people. Busy with a family she was still restless about her dream to become a model. She started working with NGOs and founded the campaign Age Not Cage to start a fight against ageism. About Two years ago she found an ad for a beauty pageant that said: “Age no bar, the height no bar” on social media. She was 50 then and decided to participate without expecting that one click would change her life forever.
- Her family was supportive. She was crowned as the first runner-up, and then she took part in another pageant within six months that lead her to her happiness and her dream. People who didn’t know her couldn’t guess her age. She got a lot of compliments for her photos on Instagram. When she revealed her age, the change in the reaction was drastic, people told her how she inspired them. She thought people were thinking that she might just be in her 30’s because society considers women who are 50 undesirable, old, and someone who doesn’t like dressing up at all and she knew she has to break this stereotype.
- Geeta revealed she is inspired by Helena Schargel, a 79-year-old lingerie model from Brazil, and after reading her interview. She thought about herself that she has plenty of time to fulfill her dreams. Geeta said whenever you go out to buy something whether be it any dress or lingerie, we see young models and not mature women unless it is traditional clothing. She thought do women stop wearing lingerie after a certain age. She wanted to change the thinking of society, so she started a petition.
- Geeta said some people criticize and mock her, some did it on her face, some did it on her back, but she used this negativity and turned it into positivity to boost her confidence. She cherishes people who encourage her.
It has been one and a half years since she has started modeling. Geeta J is an inspiration to all. She inspired us that there is no age to chase your dreams if you are confident.